So much going on. Good and bad. I just have to talk about it now. I'm sure Matt will post a blog later with most of this but I was just too anxious to NOT post something right now.
So as most of you know, Matt's getting his 6th and final chemo round right now and then it'll be on to 5 weeks of radiation before surgery. After every few treatments, they perform an MRI on him to check up on the "tumor" and see how everything looks. There is no actual tumor left there but they keep checking to make sure there are no smaller tumors that they missed or anything that reforms.
Well they checked yesterday. Matt got the results back today. They can not see anything. Anything! I know I'm so excited and I can't get too excited because it's still not over yet, and that's why I'm scared. Yea they can't see anything but I don't want to get my hopes up just in case, when they finally do perform the surgery, they still have to amputate.
From my understanding, when they do the surgery, they will take a lot of the previously "positive margin" tissue (the tissue that tested posted for still having cancer cells after the first surgery) out to make sure nothing grows back. Since it was in the foot, that makes surgery hard enough because they're limited on the actual wide margin that they can take out. Hence the radiation to help. Once they remove all the tissue that they can safely remove without making him lose function in his foot, they will re-sample the adjoining areas. If they all come up negative for cancer then we won't need to amputate. If anything comes up as positive then amputation will be necessary because that's when they'll have to start removing things that will make him lose the full use of his foot.
Like I said, the fact that the doctor found nothing (meaning nothing large, not necessarily nothing smaller like the microscopic particles), has me really excited and really happy. But I don't want to get my hopes up either because I know if I do, the news of an amputation will take me that much harder. It's not so much an amputation that will affect me. I look at it as 'okay, get rid of it so it won't come back and we won't have this worry later on.' Matt however is very afraid of having to lose his foot.
Please everyone just keep us in your prayers and thoughts!
No comments:
Post a Comment